processing gifProcessing...

Thank you for your patience.



Crusaders was founded in 1930 and has come along way, under God, since then. Below is the inspiring journey through significant events in Crusaders’ history.


  • In 1930, Dr the Reverend Howard Guinness arrived in Australia under the invitation of J. B. Nicholson to develop ministry within universities and schools.
  • Crusaders was established in NSW, VIC, QLD and SA with the motto “Witness unto me”, from Acts 1:8 was adopted.
  • School Crusader groups began at Shore, Sydney Grammar, Trinity Grammar, SCEGGS Darlinghurst, PLC Pymble, Abbotsleigh and Wenona.
  • Saturday Night Meetings began, providing a place of fellowship for young believers. They ran until 1992 with the Strathfield SNM being the last to close.
  • The first Crusader Camp was held in Easter 1930.
  • The Crusader Union was established in Perth in 1934.
  • The Crusader Women’s Fellowship began meeting in Roseville Park in 1939, to support and pray for Crusaders’ ministry. It is still meeting today.


  • The Senior Crusader Fellowship was formed.
  • Dr Leslie Parr donated land for a Crusader campsite at at Lake Macquarie.


  • Dr Paul White (the ‘Jungle Doctor’) mortgaged his home to buy land at Galston Gorge for a campsite from Mr Calderwood for £600.
  • Crusaders merged with Scripture Union in all states except NSW in 1955.
  • A large Hall was erected at Lake Mac in 1957.
  • The first Senior Easter Conference was held at the Lake Mac campsite in 1958, with the aim of training young Christians in leadership. These ran until the 1980s.
  • The Share Partnership scheme was introduced to encourage donors to give on a regular basis.


  • The dining hall, kitchen and Petter Cabin were constructed at the Galston Gorge campsite, with much volunteer labour being supplied from Senior Crusader Fellowship work parties. A dedication service was held at the site upon completion. Read the ‘Beginnings at Galston’ article by Stuart Braga.
  • Crusaders became a Registered Company Limited by Guarantee to meet legal requirements.
  • The first Study Camps were run for Year 12 students (1964).
  • The water supply was connected at the Galston Gorge campsite (1966).
  • The Boys and Girls Camps’ Committees were formed.
  • The first co-ed camps were run with 5 being held during 1968/69 involving 171 campers and 49 leaders.
  • In 1968 the campsite at Colo was purchased and frequent work parties were helped to build facilities. (The Colo site was sold in the mid 1980s.)
  • The first camp was run at the Colo campsite (1969).


  • Ten ‘timber tents’ were erected by work parties at the Lake Mac campsite.
  • Cabins and toilet blocks were constructed at the Galston Gorge campsite, providing accommodation for over 90 people.
  • The first mini bike camp was held. Great success meant 4 mini bike camps were run the following year.


  • ‘Vision of Eagles’ was written by Joy Parker to mark the 50th anniversary of Crusaders.
  • Family Easter Conference began.
  • The Crusader office moved from the city to Strathfield (1988).
  • The Summit Educational Camps division was founded. 8 camps were run in its first year and 30 in its second (1988).


  • The Crusader Union of NSW became the Crusader Union of Australia (23rd May, 1990).
  • The Ian Holt Memorial Fellowship Scheme began to provide training in full-time camping ministry. 2 ‘Fellows’ were employed full-time in the Summit Camps division.
  • A lack of camper numbers threatened the closure of the Holiday Camps program.
  • Crusaders held its first Teachers’ & Chaplains’ in-service day for 34 teachers at the Galston Gorge Campsite (August, 1991).
  • Summit ran its 100th school camp, while 68 Crusader Groups met regularly in schools across NSW.
  • The Crusader office moved from Strathfield to Eastwood (1993).
  • The new Crusader ‘eagle’ logo was introduced (1997).
  • $34,000 was raised for Crusaders through the ‘Pylon Plunge’ abseil off the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1998. Two subsequent Pylon Plunges were held in 2001 and 2003.
  • The first Crusader website was launched (November 1998).


  • Registered Training Organisation status was achieved and a Training Division established.
  • The Galston Gorge campsite was used by SOCOG during the Olympic Games to house drivers and staff from the Olympic Roads & Traffic Authority.
  • The inaugural ‘Crusader Business Luncheon’ was held at NSW Parliament House (2002).
  • A major fundraising campaign commenced in 2002 to raise funds for the upgrade of the Galston Gorge and Lake Macquarie campsites.
  • The success of Summit was celebrated in 2002 when the 50,000th school student attended a camp and heard the Gospel.
  • Major renovations at the Galston Gorge campsite began (2003).
  • Schools Ministry expanded to develop resources for use in school lunchtime CRU groups.
  • The Galston Gorge Conference & Recreation Centre was rebranded and rededicated (2005).
  • Crusaders celebrated its 75th birthday with a thanksgiving service and afternoon tea at Epping Baptist Church (2005).
  • The first Directors’ Weekend was held to train and support CRU Holiday Camp directors (2008).

2010 – Present

  • The redevelopment of the new kitchen and dining hall at Galston was completed.
  • Crusaders celebrated its 80th anniversary in September (2010).
  • Schools Ministry expanded into the ACT.